HEALTH & SAFETY COORDINATOR
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
This is an exciting opportunity for an up-and-coming Health and Safety professional to be part of a dynamic and growing business. This position, reporting to the Human Resources Manager and Sr. Safety Committee, is based in our Dartmouth, NS head office and will play an important role to enhance our focus on OHS.
Parts for Trucks is a leading distributor of heavy-duty truck and trailer parts in Eastern Canada, operating 16 sales/warehouse outlets and five service centers located throughout the region. We supply parts, truck-mounted equipment, and repair service to customers across all areas of the trucking industry.
- Assist in forming and standardizing the company health and safety management system. Ensure compliance with multi-provincial legislation and regulations.
- Work closely with JOHSC committees, managers, and employees across the organization to support and advance a culture of health and safety.
- Work with departments to perform hazard assessments and participate in the accident/incident investigation process, document findings and follow-up on recommended actions.
- Design and conduct a variety of training and information sessions (e.g., employee orientation, toolbox talk material, committee training, etc.). Work with and grow safety training through the company’s online learning management system.
- Audit, analyse and prepare statistical and other safety-related information.
- The ideal candidate will have a combination of experience, 1-2 years and education that lays a foundation for success in safety, which includes some work experience in an industrial environment (e.g., distribution warehouse, mechanical repair shop) plus a Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety.
- Strong knowledge of OHS legislation in Atlantic Canada & Ontario as well as Workers Compensation Boards, etc.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including presentation skills, and the ability to interact easily at all levels of the organization.
- Comprehensive PC skills, including Microsoft Office Suite.
Days of work are Monday to Friday and some travel may be required. To express your interest in this opportunity, apply with a resume and covering letter explaining how your experience would be beneficial in this position.
What We Offer
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for interview will be contacted. Parts for Trucks is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and are committed to equitable hiring practices.